Even though this was our third married Christmas, I considered it to be our first. This was the first time we spent Christmas in our own home. The first year was spent traveling to different states to see our families (since we were living in Wyoming) and last year we were living with my grandparents while waiting for our house to come through (sooooo thankful to them for that).
But this year was our year to really do the things we wanted, the way we wanted. A Christmas tradition that we are endeavoring to incorporate into our family is that of taking seven nights during the holiday season to focus on each character in our nativity (Mary, Joseph, Angels, Shepherds, Wise Men, the Lamb, and the Christ child). I must admit that I was not as determined as I should have been to get them all done - who knew it took so much dedication and hardwork to make memories happen? Well, I'm learning. So we got four of them accomplished, maybe five if you stretch it a bit.
Even so, I was very happy with what we did accomplish. I can speak only for myself when I say that I felt the Spirit much closer to my heart all season long. I felt the nativity history come alive to me, more than it has before. I learned new lessons from these faithful people from so long ago. My heart was full with the joy that this season brings. And I look forward to many more years of learning and loving as we continue on in this tradition.
We were particularly excited about our Shepherd's night because we were having the Baysinger family over in its entirety. We made some Shepherd pie and everyone brought lots of good things...salads and meats and cheeses. We did a spiritual thought on the Shepherds (the character that taught me the most this year as I studied and pondered on their part in the story). We decorated sheperd's staff-shaped cookies. People brought lots of goodies for that too...frosting and jelly beans and marshmallows and m&ms. We had rich hot chocolate and holiday nog. We had family. And love. And all of this goodness was in our house! I love these moments, when your house is full of love and goodness and has fully transitioned into a home.
Here are an array of pictures. Some I took. Some the kids took. Some Ammon took. I think they show the night off pretty well.
But that's not all!
There was also some gift-exchanging that went on! All of us kiddos got more gifts from Mama and Daddy (they had already given each family tables at Thanksgiving - awesome). We got puzzle boxes and movie tickets and a HUGE roll of packing tape and, most importanly, a sheet of geneaology. This was to be used to help us in our quest to know and name our ancestors hanging on the wall in Mama's piano room. (Each face named correctly on Christmas Day was to be reward monetarily as yet another Christmas gift - wow!)
And Mama and Daddy got to open their gift from the kiddos as well - which has turned out wonderfully as well.
Overall, I think it was a success. We are so glad for everyone made the drive to come see us...in the dark...in the rain. We are so glad to be surrounded by such warmth and love - all year round. We are so grateful for the generosity that exists between each of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment