Ammon's Grandma Hatch passed away last week. There hasn't been a day since I met her though that I didn't feel every bit her grandchild too. A flood of tender and precious emotions and memories came to me as she grew closer to her passing and as the week following unfolded. There have been a few things in that time that have especially stood out to me. I feel a great desire to write them down and I hope I do the feelings of my heart even a little bit of justice. "...and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know..."
The first thing that struck me was how eager Grandma was to pass to the other side. I use that phrase "struck me" with purpose. I found her approach to dying startling and odd at first. It took some contemplation for me to realize that her eagerness was not largely motivated by desire to escape mortality or its accompanying pains and struggles.She wasn't excited to leave here, she was excited to be there. She knew with certainty that she had done well what her Father in Heaven had sent her here to do. She knew that her mission here was complete and so it was with absolute peace and excitement that she waited to go home. And now it is not startling to me, but inspiring. Is there anything more beautiful? Could we hope for more than that? I hope that I can daily live in such a way that when my time comes to be called home, I too am not only at peace but am also truly excited to see my Father and my Creator. No fear. Just love-filled anticipation.
Secondly, as loved ones gathered over the past few days for visiting and viewing at the funeral, many spoke of the conversations that they had with Grandma. Nobody could bring to their mind a single conversation in which Grandma did not bear her testimony of some gospel truth. Grandma talked of Christ, rejoiced in Christ, preached of Christ, prophesied of Christ and wrote according to her prophecies. And her children (and grandchildren and great-grandchildren) know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins, to what source they may find joy and peace.
The last thing to stand out to me I am sure I am not alone in noticing - it is the magnificent family she created and has left behind for now:
An eternal sweetheart and best friend (together so far for 68 years!)
Six adoring children
44 grandchildren and
97 great-grandchildren (with more on the way!)
It was so clear to me as we gathered at her funeral that what the prophets say is true. What Grandma always said is true. Children are an heritage of the Lord. Family is the center of life and is the key to eternal happiness.An entire chapel filled of just immediate family, to say nothing of the loved ones filling the remainder of the church, gathered together to "arise up, and call her blessed."
Grandma's eagerness to cross onto the next stage of eternity was not a coincidence. Her peace and joy with this life and the next were a direct consequence of her willingness to live and speak the gospel daily and her commitment to building and strengthening family. The blessings given by and the truths taught at the hand of Grandma Hatch are innumerable. But as I sit and reflect after this past week, these things I know:
I know that a life lived in the service of God brings peace. It brings charity, which is the pure love of Christ. It brings virtue. And charity and virtue will cause "thy confidence to wax strong in the presence of God." Even and especially as you face the veil that has separated you from Him in mortality.
I know that a life lived building and strengthening family after the manner which God has given us will bring the greatest joy - in this life and in eternity.
These great truths have been taught to me my entire life and I am fortunate to have many wonderful examples. Still, these truths have been made all the clearer to me through her. She is a "savior on Mount Zion" and I am grateful for the path she walked - the path of our Savior. I am grateful for the posterity and legacy she has given to her family. To my family. I hope to walk that path. I yearn for my children to also know her path - His path - and to walk it as well. To walk it well.
---
Hatch, Vida Lamoreaux
Vida Lamoreaux Hatch, born on May 26, 1927, passed away at her home in Gilbert, AZ October 5, 2015. Vida was born on the farm in Chandler, Arizona in 1929 to Dave and Ruth Tenney Lamoreaux. She spent her life in the service of those around her, following the teachings and example of our Savior Jesus Christ whom she loved with all of her heart. She is well known for her homemade bread and her $2 bills that she gave away profusely. She loved being in her kitchen, where the back door was always open to all who came her way. She is survived by Orland Hatch, her sweetheart husband of nearly 68 years, and her six children: Gary (Jilene) Hatch of Willcox, AZ; Arleen (Bert) Goodman of Gilbert; Beth (Troy) Phillips of Tucson; Julie (Curtis) Nolan of Willcox; Dena (Rory) Baysinger of Gilbert; Justin (Mila) Hatch of Gilbert. She has 44 grandchildren and 97 great grandchildren, with 4 more on the way. Funeral services will be held Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 10 am at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 2740 S Lindsay Rd, Gilbert, AZ, with a viewing beforehand from 8:30 - 9:30 am. Visitation will be Friday, from 6 - 8 pm at the same location. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=vida-hatch&pid=176046426&FBNF=ShareObitAt&refsvce=facebook#.VhbTQWnHky0.facebook

Oh Brelynn - your SUCH a great blogger!!! I love this post and seriously just spent like 20 minutes blog-stalking your cute little family!
ReplyDeleteAlso, the scripture you kept quoting was the one I have been "ponderizing" all week! I love that you are diligently writing so you can bear your testimony to your posterity. Reminds me once again why it is so important that I do this!! So much life just goes by so fast. My memory can't keep even a fraction of it and so I need to "labor diligently to write" like you are! Thank you for inspiring me tonight! Keep it up! You are one amazing woman and mother. Something your family and this world needs desperately. :) Love, Kasey
Brelynn this is so Beautiful!! Grandma Hatch has been on my mind alot this week. I am so grateful for the few times I got to share time with her and you are completely correct. I can not remember a time that the conversation did not get turned to the blessing of family or some other gospel truth. Her example inspires me!! You inspire me!! Continue to teach these truths to your precious family. I Love You!!!!! Mom
ReplyDeleteFinally got the time today to read your post. Yes, Brelynn, she did (and does) love you - and with good cause! Thank you for taking the time to give your heart to writing about Grandma. I am so thankful you got to know her and live close so you could visit their home. Loved the way you added the scriptures and quotes the way you did so we can click & go to them (I don't even know what that's called...) Great job - this says it all! Love you so!
ReplyDelete