Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Kindergarten

My first child is entering first grade - which means Kindergarten has already been conquered! I figure it's about time I got around to documenting it.

We really felt like it was the best year ever.
And as we begin another school year, I find myself hoping that we are so blessed every year!

It was quite a year in Room 22 with Mrs. Newton.

It was a year of growth.


It was a year of friendship.

Kerrigan, Leia, Ammely, Sophie, Madelyn
Dear Ammely, You are my favorite friend. Do you want to be my best friend? We can play superheroes. From Ella.



They learned many songs this year, but this one was just so, so sweet to hear from the mouths of 5 year olds. You gotta watch. At least a little bit. Do it. Push play.


It was a year of learning.
There were days Ammely would come home and legitimately teach me something I did not know.
 - Did you know that polar bears have black skin underneath their white fur?

There were days that Ammely would teach me something I am pretty sure I did not learn until much later years than Kindergarten.
- She could tell you the entire water cycle, using words like evaporation and condensation! 

There were days that Ammely hit major milestones.
Like picking up a book and reading it all by herself.

Or writing sentences, stories and instructions!

I want a unicorn. I like magical stuff. I would feed her. I been cleaning my room. I will ride her to school every day.
The Olive Garden is the best place because it has delicious macaroni and cheese.

Step 1: "How to make a baby stop crying."
Change the diaper.
Step 2: Put her in her pajamas.
Step 3: Put her to sleep.


Or counting in groups. 

Or climbing on the monkey bars. 

Or giving her first oral report.

She chose to do her report on Tigers.
Heck, they even had animals right in their classroom! They watched caterpillars turn into butterflies.
They watched tadpoles turn into frogs.

They even got the awesome experience of watching baby chicks hatch!





It was a year of adventure.
They went on two - yes, TWO field trips this year! 
In the Fall they made their way to The Children's Museum of Phoenix. 


They had so much fun it wore 'em all out!


Then in the Spring, they made their way to the Botanical Gardens - and Ammon even got to go and chaperone!



It was a year of creativity.






It was a year of self-discovery.

...as parents, we had a bit of self-discovery through her work too. 
Daddy is awesome!
My dad is the best because he tickles me, he funny kisses me! 

And Mommy...lays in bed all day. Ha! ***keep in mind, I was pregnant (aka: very sick) this year***


It was a year of love.
I don't know that I will ever forget the day Ammely came home to proclaim that she was in love.
His name was Jack. 

And he made her heart flutter.
I'm not sure Ammely had the same fluttering effect on Jack, haha.
Apparently love was the biggest take-away from Kindergarten. 
"In Kindergarten I learned that we are mamuls."
The correlating picture features Ammely and Jack,
Ammely:"I love you Jack."
Jack: "I love you to Ammely"


It was a year of success!

So much success!


And I am oh so glad I was able to there for Kindergarten graduation - even if I had the option of giving birth instead. It was worth the wait.

It was such a wonderful evening. And Ammely totally nailed her speaking part - loud and clear and not even nervous! 

They also did a really clever rendition of "Can't Stop the Feelin" - you should watch this 2 minute video!

Some of Ammely's success is due to her super stellar support groups!





But I'm pretty sure that 99% of the credit for this year's success goes to Mrs. Newton! 

She was the perfect teacher for us first-time parents, for our daughter, and for the class as a whole. She constantly wowed us with her grace, her thoroughness, her creativity and thoughtfulness.
In my opinion, this is not just her job - it's her calling. It's a lucky kid who gets Mrs. Newton for a teacher.

And I'm just so grateful that lucky Kindergarten kid was Ammely.

2 comments:

  1. Loved every bit of everything you showed us that Ammely was able to accomplish during Kindergarten! Great videos too! I felt bad that I missed being there when they did that Count on Me song, but your video of it was just like being there - thank you for including that! May this 1st grade year be just as amazing! We LOVE all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay first of all, Ammely is the cutest Kindergartener EVER. Her outfits are always amazing, right down to her shoes! I love it that you included pictures of her writing! Little kid spelling is my favorite thing ever. Wait...no...it's my second favorite thing. First favorite is that you included translation captions. ;) Except...I think you got one of the tranalations wrong. The instructions were supposed to read "How to make Aunt Belle stop crying", and the first step should should have said "Feed her ice cream." Yes, seeing Ammely's oh-so-amazing Kindergarten year leaves me feeling quite deprived. But you capturing it the way you did just about makes up for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete