Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Project: Lose Weight, Get Healthy

I have what is probably a fairly typical story for my fairly typical body.

I used to be very thin.
Disneyland February 2007
Thanksgiving 2007

And then I went to college and I entered the triple digits for the first time ever. Still healthy, still thin. Just not quite the thin I was used to.
Summer 2008
 And then I got married. I gained several more pounds. Again, not heavy. But not the rockin' body I wanted to have.
Easter 2011
July 2011
 And then I got pregnant. And gained something like 40 pounds. Ish. I try not to remember.
March 2012
April 2012
And then I gave birth. And exercised. And ate healthy. And I got down to pre-baby weight. I felt awesome. I felt like I had beat out all those women who never lose the baby weight.
October 2012
And then I stopped exercising.
And then I started eating whatever I wanted.
Heck, I'm a first time mother and I often just wanted whatever was quick. Easy. Thoughtless. Tasty.
I often ate whatever high-calorie food we were trying to get our daughter to eat so that she would gain a few pounds. Excuses.
As a result, I was much heavier than I've ever been or ever thought I'd find tolerable.
June 2013

And then last month rolled around and I couldn't take it anymore.

I saw a convincing ad for a diet on another blog (the blog is called Twist Me Pretty, if you want to check it out) and convinced myself (and my husband) that the plan she used was going to take me to a weight I wanted to be at.

Enter Medifast.

I planned to try this for one month and one month only (we're not made of money people!).
I planned to lose at least ten pounds and hope for more.

I was completely faithful to this plan with only one exception: General Conference Morning Doughnuts and Chocolate Milk. They're a tradition. But I had two doughnuts instead of six. I ate them for one session instead of two. I had one glass of Almond Chocolate Milk instead of regular, high fat cow's milk until I pop.

The Medifast meals were tasty. But more importantly they taught me how to eat slowly. They taught me portion control. They taught me what IS good to eat. They taught me what is NOT so good to eat - even among the healthier foods. They taught me how often to eat.

And now the 4 weeks are up.

Did I lose ten pounds? Yes I did! And a little more.
What is next you ask?


Well, I still would like to lose another 10 pounds. But now that I'm at a weight I'm much more comfortable at, I'm more concerned with shaping myself and being healthy than the number on the scale.


So for at least the next 30 days -
I count my calories.
I don't eat carbs after lunch.
I get my rear end kicked by Jillian Michaels in my living room every day.

Hopefully this past month and this coming month are enough to instill healthier habits that will stick for life.
Hopefully if and when Baby 2 decides to make an appearance I won't have to start gaining weight feeling like a whale from the beginning. -- and hopefully during Baby 2's gestational period these habits mean I won't gain SO much preggo weight.

I feel great. I'm excited about what I've accomplished. Eleven-ish pounds is a lot on a 4' 10" frame! I'm excited about the weeks to come.

Wish me luck! This is quite an adventure.
Go-Ahead. Click on it. Make it bigger. Scrutinize me. I did it too. :)
Maybe you can't tell a big difference, but it's HUGE to me!

8 comments:

  1. I have to be honest honey...you look the same to me in all of them but two:
    -your preggo picture, and
    -your right-after-preggo picture with your mom & grandma.
    All the others I see and think "yup....skinny.....skinny......skinny....jealous...skinny...hate her...skinny.... " heehee ;P
    But WHAT a wonderful and WISE plan to strive to be in THE best shape possible and with good habits established prior to pregnancy #2. I'm right there with ya.
    Okay I lie, I'm cheering you on from my living-room couch as I eat a bowl of Lucky Charms. *sigh*
    I think I must meet this Jilian Michaels you speak of. My butt could use a kicking. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamzon you are TOO funny and TOO kind. And maybe even if you're telling the truths, I know that there is a big difference in all of these pictures to ME. We're always hard on ourselves, huh? And don't feel bad about the Lucky Charms. Lucky Charms was my "I made it a whole month and lost 10 lbs" celebrating meal of choice. It's real hard to beat Lucky Charms. :D

    Oh! And Ammon and I have been doing Level 1 of Jillian Michael's 30 day shred on youtube for the past week. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8

    However, only Level 1 is there. So we ordered her Ripped in 30 DVD - which is just the newer, improved version of the 30 day shred. It should be in my mailbox TODAY! Yay! I have several Facebook friends that have lost anywhere from 10 to 60 pounds using her DVDs. And it's been a good way for Ammon to work back into working out after surgery because her workouts are circuits of 3 minutes strength training, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute of abs. And I like it because I stay much more motivated with a time frame - "I'm doing this for 30 days" instead of "I'm going to do this every day for eternity." I should come over to your house sometime after I have this DVD and we can die together if you'd like. Or you can breeze through it and watch me pant and die on the floor. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you! I had to REALLY look close to see any difference - but I am wonderfully proud of your accomplishment! May the rest of us figure it out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess it's a lot easier to tell the difference when you see yourself every day - aw well. I feel great and I'm proud of me too!

      Delete
  4. Okay, I enlarged the pictures. I squinted. I crossed my eyes. Nope...still look them same. But then I enlarged the pictures, squinted, and crossed my eyes all at the same time! Totally see it now. Yep. You were definitely a whale. And now you're just a baby whale. That's A-MAAA-ZING!!! ;)

    I jest. You're totally right! 10 pounds is HUGE on a tiny frame like yours. And I've just decided that you will be my personal trainer when I'm all done with this pregnancy. Yep! I will be reporting for duty Feb 6, 2014. (Figured I'd give myself a month to recover.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Oh my. The funny gene definitely runs rampant in your family.

      I am in NO way qualified to be advising you - YOU look amazing and YOU are what, 20ish weeks pregnant? YOU need to coach ME. Though I will be happy to join you in your health endeavors come February! :)

      Delete
  5. so how exactly did you start this?? did you contact her on her blog through email? And I really wish I was 119 lbs!! haha but you look amazing! congrats! I want your secrets!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't contact her through email, though she certainly invites people to do that. I just went straight to the Medifast website and ordered from there. And thank you! The hardwork and investment paid off and I felt immensely better! (I say felt as I'm pregnant again and am now gaining instead of losing - happy news!) Good luck to you!

      Delete