About half the time we are committed to doing a real, structured Family Home Evening. The other half of the time we just kind of think,"Eh, we were all home, together, in the evening - that counts, right?"
Ammely: "The Lord...?"
After several proddings from various talks/lessons/life experiences, we recently recommitted to doing it the more traditional way.
So we started up with a Family Home Evening about temples.
During the lesson, Ammon was explaining to Ammely what a temple is.
Ammon: "The temple is the house of the Lord. Whose house is it?"
Ammely: "The Lord...?"
Ammon: "Mmhmmm. And who is the Lord?"
Ammely: "Grandpa!"
The next day we all met up at the temple during the lunch hour.
Several times Ammely asked to go inside. Eventually she became very sad that she could not go inside and we kept trying to explain the reason.
Me: "Ammely, you have to be twelve before you can go inside. How old are you?
Ammely: "I two!"
Me: "Yes, so we'll work really hard at doing good so that in ten more years, you can go inside."
We had that conversation several times over.
Once more,
Ammely (crying): "I want to go iinnnn thheee teeeemmpppplllleeeee!"
Me: Ammely, how old are you?
Ammely: (pauses) "Uh, eleven."
Close, sweetheart. But still not quite close enough. Haha.
Despite Ammely's brief disappointment, I am glad we've recommitted. I'm certain that's what life is about- a continual recommitment to doing the things that you know to be right - the hard things that will ultimately make you and those around you better.
I know that having Family Home Evening regularly is one of those good choices. There is a real and righteous power from counseling together as a family regularly. And it will help keep our forever bonds sealed nice and tight - the ones we just so happened to make in the temple.





HA HA HA Ammely is soooo smart!!!! You know how much she Loves to go to Grandpa Lords house. I truly just wanted her to be 12 so she could go in. What a great goal that will be for her. You both are such great parents! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteGREAT post!
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful daughter!
I am so very grateful for your desires AND actions!
Thank you for together making your family what it needs to be!
Love you fully...
I do not comment on these enough - but rest assured my sweet, I DO read them. And I LOVE them! It actually took me reading through this twice to realize the first joke. The Lord's House...Grandpa LORDS. hehehehe
ReplyDeleteClever clever clever little girl. ;) Love you guys!