Remember when I said that babies can break your heart? It's still true.
Ammely had her 2-month appointment, which means shots.
All started well. She was perfectly happy to be at the doctor's office - getting measured, just laying on the paper, listening to it crinkle as she wiggled around.
And then they came in and changed her world. With 5 shots. Yes, FIVE shots.
And even though she did not like them at all in the moment, she did very well. She only cried for a few minutes. It was much later when the pain re-kicked in and she would not forgive her mommy for that kind of an experience.
She started crying as we arrived at Walmart to get her Infant's Tylenol.
The cart goes crooked.
Abandon cart in middle of aisle.
Could I find Infant's tylenol with the rest of the medicine? No.
So I lugged her to the back of the store to the baby section. Infant's tylenol there? No.
Back outside to the 100 degree weather.
To Walgreens.
Lugged baby into Walgreens.
Infant's tylenol? Probably - but I left the paper from the doctor in the car.
Back outside.
Back inside.
Infant's tylenol in the infant's medicine section? No.
Infant's tylenol in the normal people section? Yes. Hallelujia.
Check out. Cashier tries to make small talk. Really? Now, while my child is crying as though death were at her door?
Out to the car.
In the backseat, hoping the A/C speeds up, trying to read dispensing directions from the box and the doctor for the first time.
Give her the drops.
Go home.
Still crying.
Warm compresses or warm bath is supposed to help.
Draw up bath.
Put baby in bath.
No good.
Maybe she wants me to hold her.
Try to fill up normal bath while she is in her infant bath.
Start the water and it goes onto her head.
Stupid mommy moment.
Even more upset little girl.
10 minutes in bath, still no better.
Baby is crying.
Mommy is crying.
Mommy is praying.
Wrap up in towel, sit on bathroom floor, and hold her.
Turn on hairdryer. Hairdry baby.
Crying slows to wimper.
Baby falls asleep.
Mommy offers prayer of gratitude.
I have never been so sad. I have never been so exhausted. And I wasn't even the one who got the shots.
As previously stated, babies can break your heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment