This scene is all too familiar to me - not because we love The Emperor's New Groove (which we do), but because this scene occurs in my life more than I'd care to admit.
However, it's been a new experience to (seemingly) watch my child listen to and act on the different little voices on her shoulder.
There are some days when it seems like these are the only faces I get from her:
And it just has to be that naughty little voice on her shoulder, because my sweet little baby wouldn't think to get into the cleaning supplies...over and over and over again...
...and dump them on my floor...
...or stubbornly sit in the dishwasher...
...or rummage through the trash...
...or waste paper, water and money all in one go...
...would she? Certainly not.
Perhaps just for mothers' sanity all around the world, there is also the sweet, angelic voice on the other shoulder.
And thankfully, there are days when these are the faces I get:
An angel girl, am I right?
And then she does things that make me go -"Oh, she is first for a reason. She is a helper. She is a good little girl."
Like when all she wants to do is help me take out the trash.
Or she patiently goes to the store with me for hours at a time.
Or she helps me measure out the blueberries for my muffins.
Or she actually shares her toys.
These are the little things that me jump up and down, yelling "Yay Ammely!" like the mommy-cheerleader that I am.
I know I'm only starting on this journey called "parenthood," but already I learn that the greatest trials and joys come from helping our children grow up into better people than we are.
I hope that she and I have victories more often than not. That at the end of the day we both can tell the little voices to be gone and we can go dashing off to do the right thing.
Because, well... let's be honest...the path of righteousness IS the path that rocks.











Yay! Ephraim made it to your blog! It really threw me for a loop cuz I was scrolling through all your photos, I was counting how many times each of those things has happened at my house this week... and then, tadaa! There he is! My mentalizations right there on the screen :-) I'm glad I got a visual reminder of how he can be nice sometimes... I really needed it today!
ReplyDeleteOh my WORD. That face she gives you while grocery shopping is the EXACT face I get from Rori on our outings! (what little patient helpers we've got ;D)
ReplyDeleteAnd little Ephraim is getting so big! Wow, look at those chubby cheekers; I could EAT them! :D
My favorite pic has to be the one of sweet Ammely sleeping with both her hands under her chin.
Little cutie.
Thanks for always being such an inspiration to me Bre! You're an awesome mommy! :)